Planning Applications

If your building project requires planning permission, submit a planning application to explain your building project in detail.


  • What is a planning application
  • The different types of planning application
  • The supporting documents needed
  • How much it costs

If your building project requires planning permission, you submit a planning application which explains your building project in detail including things like the size, height, location and materials that will be used.

This helps us make a decision on whether your building project is acceptable.

You can apply for planning permission even if you don't own the property yet.

Read more on the Planning Portal

Have you started building already?

If you start a project without the required permission, we may ask you to make a retrospective planning application.

We'll give you permission as long as what you've built would have been acceptable from the start.

However, if we decide that permission shouldn't have been granted you'll need to put things back as they were at your own cost or we'll take enforcement action.

Read more on the Planning Portal

What type do you need?

There are various types of application forms and it's important to submit the right one otherwise this could delay your building project.


Used for projects that alter or enlarge a single house, including works within the boundary/garden of a house.

Projects include:

  • Extensions
  • Conservatories
  • Loft conversions
  • Dormer windows
  • Garages, car ports and outbuildings 

Read more on the Planning Portal

Full planning permission

Used for most projects, excluding householder.

Projects include:

  • Works relating to a flat
  • A change in the number of houses (flat conversions, building a separate house in the garden)
  • Change of use to non-residential use (including business use)
  • Any other works that aren't within the grounds of a domestic home 

Read more on the Planning Portal

Outline planning permission

Used to check whether the building project would be acceptable to us before a full application is submitted.

There are less details about the project to be submitted.

Once outline planning permission has been approved, you will need to apply for “reserved matters”. What's this?

These details will be referred to in the reserved matters application at a later stage.

Read more on the Planning Portal

Reserved Matters

If outline permission has been granted, you have three years to provide the information that was missing from the original outline application.

These can include

  • Appearance
  • Means of access
  • Landscaping
  • Layout
  • Scale 

Read more on the Planning Portal

Listed Building Consent (LBC)

Used for projects on Listed Buildings.

You will need to apply for listed building consent if:

  • You want to demolish a listed building
  • Work (inside or outside) that will affect its special character and/or appearance. For example, cutting through timber, removing section of wall or altering chimneys
  • You may need listed building consent for any works to separate buildings within the grounds of a listed building

If you are carrying out repairs on a "like for like" basis, then this is not required. However, if you have any doubt, you should submit a pre-application.

It is a criminal offence to carry out works without consent.

Check if your property is a Listed Building

Read more on the Planning Portal

Advertisement Consent

Used for projects that display an advertisement or sign.

These include:

  • Posters and notices
  • Placards and boards
  • Fascia signs and projecting signs
  • Pole signs and canopy signs
  • Estate agents' boards
  • Flag advertisements
  • Price markers and price displays 

Read more on the Planning Portal

Removal/variation of conditions

Used to remove or vary a condition imposed after planning permission or listed building consent has been approved.

Read more on the Planning Portal

Discharge (Approval) of conditions

Used where a condition in planning permission or listed building consent requires more information on a specific aspect of the project that was not described in the original planning application.

These details need to be submitted for approval before the project can progress. These sometimes have to be submitted at a set time, either before works start or before the new development can be used/occupied. Please read any conditions carefully.

Read more on the Planning Portal

Prior Approvals/Notifications

Some building projects involving larger household extensions, some changes of use, telecommunications, demolition, agriculture or forestry are subject to a process whereby details are notified to the local planning authority prior to the development taking place.

Read more on the Planning Portal

Consent under Tree Preservation Orders (TPO)

Used for building projects that involve trees which have a Tree Preservation Order (TPO).

Check if you have a TPO

Read more on the Planning Portal

Notification of proposed works to trees in conservation areas

Used for building projects in conservation areas where works to trees of a specific size are affected.

You need to give us six weeks’ notice before carrying out work on trees which are located in a conservation area but don't have a tree preservation order (TPO) yet.

Check if you live in a conservation area

Read more on the Planning Portal

Application for non-material amendments following planning permission

Used when planning permission is approved but very small amendments to the permission are required.

Read more on the Planning Portal

Planning permission for demolition in a conservation area

Used for demolition in a conservation area.

You will need planning permission for the following:

  • Demolishing a building with a volume of more than 115 cubic metres
  • Demolishing a gate, fence, wall or railing more than one metre high next to a highway (including a public footpath or bridleway) or public open space
  • Demolishing a gate, fence, wall or railing more than two metres high 

Read more on the Planning Portal

Retrospective Planning Application

Used to regularise and legitimize building works or a change of use that has already happened.

In some cases, we may ask you to submit this application if we consider it to be an appropriate way forward.

Read more on the Planning Portal

What supporting documents do you need?

Include all relevant information applicable for your type of application. If you don't supply the correct ones it won't be accepted.

Check supporting documents


Please note that the Government has increased planning application fees by 20% with effect from the 17th of January 2018.

If you are intending on submitting applications on or after this date then the correct new fees will need to be paid for your application to be made valid.

Applications made with the current fee will not be valid and you will be asked to pay the additional amount.

Read more information on the Government's site

Check what fee is applicable

You may also be liable to planning obligations such as Section 106 agreements. What's this?

Building Control

Depending on the type of building project, you'll probably need building control approval as well.

Check if you need building control approval


We recommend that you use an agent.

People who are familiar with making planning applications will already know the process and have experience of our working practices.

Read more on the Planning Portal

If you're unsure if you need planning permission or you want to check if your building project would be a permitted development.

Submit a Certificate of Lawfulness

What's this?

We are currently updating our online forms. This means that unfortunately this form is temporarily unavailable. We are sorry for any inconvenience.

If you know you need planning permission, but would like specific advice. Please download the paper form here

What's this?

If you know you need planning permission, but don't want specific advice.

Apply for planning permission

What's this?

Application Forms