'The vision is for Castle Park to be the jewel in the crown of Colchester 's Parks and Open Spaces and to be a focus of civic pride.
It will offer safe facilities for enjoyment of the park reflecting on its significant historical resource, formal and informal recreation. It is desired that Castle Park will perform as a key link between the adjacent town centre and the wider network of open spaces.
The Management Plan for Castle Park will enhance wildlife habitat, encouraging and preserving flora and fauna. It will foster public interest, involvement and ownership through improved access, allowing the development of recreation, interpretation and education. It will foster improved consultation and liaison with support groups, partners, stakeholders, the police and local community.'
- To positively welcome people into Castle Park in terms of both physical and social access
- To ensure a healthy, safe and secure experience for park users.
- To provide a well maintained and clean park
- To improve the environmental quality and sustainability of all practices carried out in the park
- To conserve the historic landscape character of the park while ensuring provision for contemporary uses, better and communicate the historical importance of site to all users.
- Provide opportunities to increase community use and involvement, particularly through events, education and interpretation.
- Ensure effective promotion of the park as a community resource
- Ensure all those involved in the management and maintenance of the park effectively use the Management Plan as a working document.
- Improve the parks integration with adjoining areas of green space.
- Improve accessibility to the park.
- Develop it as a forum for events.
We regularly carry out customer satisfaction surveys within the park. These surveys gauge the how visitors feel about the way we look after Castle Park, cleanliness, accessibility, facilities provided and what they see as our strengths and weaknesses.
The last survey was carried out in the summer of 2018.
View the results of the 2018 survey
The next survey is due to be carried out in the summer of 2020.
Green Flag Award
Castle Park has held the prestigious national Green Flag and Green Heritage Awards since 2002 & 2004 respectively.
Finnd out more about the Green Flag Award.
Castle Park has held the Visitor Attraction Quality Assurance Scheme award since 2003.
Castle Park Management Plan 2010 - 2015