As a member of staff at Colchester City Council, you will be automatically enrolled in the Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS) unless you choose to opt-out.
The LGPS is a national pension scheme administered by around 100 local authorities on behalf of hundreds of local councils and associated bodies across the UK.
- The LGPS provides you with a guaranteed future income, based on your career average pay.
- Unlike some schemes your pension is not affected by share prices and stock market fluctuations.
- Once you take your pension it will go up in line with inflation, protecting you from rising prices.
A low cost to you
- You can get tax relief on your contributions - including extra amounts you pay to top up your benefits.
- The Council also contributes money into the LGPS to provide these benefits for you.
- You can take a lump sum when you retire, which in most cases will be tax free.
- There are no hidden fees or charges - you simply pay a percentage of your pay.
Benefits for you and your loved ones
- Protection for you in case you have to take your benefits early through ill health.
- Pensions for surviving dependents and a lump sum payment if you die.
- Increased flexibility over when you can retire and take your pension.
- Life cover from the moment you join.