If there are some journeys where you need to use the car, make sure you’re driving as efficiently as possible. This will save on your fuel costs and reduce the emissions emitted whilst you drive. This video shares some really useful fuel saving tips for you to try out next time you go out for a spin.
Some easy tips more effectively are:
- Reduce drag – Items on top of your car, such as roof racks add to your fuel consumption. Take them off if you’re not using them.
- Check your tyre pressure is correct – Tyres that are not properly inflated will mean you use more fuel when driving
- Wind down the windows – Using your air con increases your fuel consumption. Try opening the windows instead.
- Drive smoothly – Try not to accelerate fast or brake unnecessarily, just accelerate and decelerate smoothly by reading the road ahead.
- Stick to the limits – The faster you go the more fuel you will use. A more controlled drive can save you lots of fuel – Driving at 70 mph uses 9% more fuel than driving at 60 mph!
- Start cold – Don’t wait for your engine to warm up before setting off on a drive. Idling and waiting just waits fuel, and the engine warms up more quickly when you move so just switch on the engine when you’re ready to go.
Page last reviewed: 24 November 2020