Learn more, earn more and kick-start your future career with an apprenticeship at Colchester Borough Council.
Our apprenticeship scheme
We currently recruit for apprentices in areas including People and Performance (HR), Community Enabling (Communities), Events (Amphora Trading), Contact & Support (Customers), Purchasing & Finance (Customers), ICT (Policy & Corporate). They range between Level 2 and 3 in Business Administration, Events Assistant and Infrastructure Technician.
The scheme includes:
- a comprehensive learning and development programme
- induction and on-the-job training, project work, job shadowing, allocated workplace mentoring and buddying, as well as attending workshops and training courses
- dedicated study/training time with a recognised training provider, either on-site or by day release
- paying our apprentices the age-based National Minimum Wage without having to complete the first year of an apprenticeship or being over 19 years old.
Apply for an apprenticeshipApprentices will be required to complete their apprenticeship and training before they apply for an alternative permanent or fixed-term contract role within the Council.
You can find apprenticeship vacancies in our current opportunities. These are advertised throughout the year as they become available.
You can also search for apprenticeships on the National Apprenticeship Service website. Here you can find vacancies in your local area or search for roles anywhere in the country.
We have internal apprenticeships for existing members of staff who are undertaking further learning as part of their development. These include Level 2 & 3 in Customer Service, Level 3 in Team Leading/Supervisor, Level 4 Data Analyst, Level 5 HR Consultant, Level 6 Chartered Surveyor and Level 7 Chartered Town Planner.
Become an apprentice
Whether you’re a school-leaver looking for your first job or want a fresh start with a new career, apprenticeships make great training routes for people at any stage of their lives. You will:
- achieve a nationally recognised qualification;
- earn a wage while learning job-specific skills;
- gain further opportunities for progression and development, such as training courses and workshops;
- advance your future career prospects;
- be part of a network of expertise build confidence and develop as a person.
Our apprentices are paid the age-based National Minimum Wage. We cover all your qualification and training costs and offer these additional perks:
- generous annual leave
- flexitime and flexible working policies
- subsidised gym and leisure membership, plus other wellbeing incentives/checks
- 'Bike2Work' scheme - large discounts on bikes and accessories
- public transport discounts - up to 50%
- discounted car parking facilities and car share scheme
- a range of local and national discounts on products and services
- eligibility to join the Local Government Pension Scheme
Page last reviewed: 7 February 2020