Apprenticeships, work experience and volunteering
Every year we offer a variety of opportunities to gain voluntary work experience with our Services.
Our placement lengths vary according to the needs and interests of the individual applicant, as well as the resources and workload of the department hosting the placement.
We are a ‘Disability Confident’ employer committed to providing work experience wherever possible.
Work experience placements
Popular placements include:
- General Clerical
- Customer Services
- Environmental Health
- Park Ranger
- Events Management
- Communications and Marketing
- Planning Services
- Crematorium and Cemetery
- Human Resources
- Democratic Services
- Strategic Research
- Regeneration and Architecture
If you are interested in an area not covered by the above list, contact us and tell us why you want to gain experience in your preferred area and what skills you will bring to the role. We will contact the relevant manager on your behalf and attempt to secure a placement.
Apply for work experience
To apply for a work experience placement, send the following details to email@example.com:
- an up-to-date CV with your full contact details;
- what career and/or Service area you want to gain experience in and the reasons for this;
- why you would particularly like to work in local government;
- what you hope to gain from the placement;
- timescales for your proposed placement.
We receive many enquiries about work experience/placements. We consider each request on its own merits and offer opportunities to people where we can, but it is not possible to do so in every case.
Page last reviewed: