Report a bonfire
How bonfire complaints are assessed
We can investigate complaints about bonfires that could be a statutory nuisance.
The Environmental Protection Act 1990 allows us to take action against anyone having a bonfire that:
- produces smoke on a frequent or persistent basis
- interferes substantially with another person’s reasonable enjoyment of their home and garden
Bonfires are more likely to cause complaints if they contain damp and smouldering garden or household waste.
An abatement notice can be served to the person responsible. Anyone who continues to break the law can be fined.
Other ways to deal with your wasteBonfires create air pollution and can affect anyone suffering from existing health problems such as respiratory conditions.
We recommend other ways of dealing with your waste.
- Use our garden waste collection service
- Home compost your garden and vegetable waste
- Take your waste to a local recycling centre
Page last reviewed: 5 October 2020