Bereavement service changes
Following the Government’s measures to prevent the spread of coronavirus, our cremation services and burials are still taking place with certain restrictions.
Funerals, both cremation services and burials, are still taking place, but we will be asking Funeral Directors to ensure only close family attend.
The following advice for funeral services is in place:
- Although the law says you can have up to 30 people at a funeral, families should restrict attendance in the crematorium chapel to a maximum of 20 people. This is due to the limited space inside the chapel when we are required to allow for 2m social distancing.
- Staff will seat groups at respectful distances from each other inside the chapel, keeping people 2 meters apart.
- Stringent cleaning measures are in place.
In addition to social distancing rules:
- a face covering must be worn by all family and friends attending a funeral in Colchester Crematorium chapel, all funeral directors’ staff, and all ministers and celebrants.
- singing will not be allowed in the crematorium chapel.
Read more on Government guidelines
We are also asking people to follow the Government guidelines of social distancing by keeping a minimum of 2 metres apart at the graveside.
Funeral Directors are contacting their customers to inform, support and advise them of the restrictions in place. They will be able to help bereaved families to access the Obitus system webcast and funeral recording facilities.
We understand that this is very difficult for people during such a sad time, but we hope everyone understands that our decision is to ensure the safety of both mourners and our staff.
Ashes and wakes
A maximum of 6 people may attend an ashes burial or wake.
Cremation applicants should contact the crematorium office by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone 01206 282950 to get more information or to make an appointment.
Following an update to government coronavirus legislation, the cemetery is open to visitors.
To ensure the safety of yourself and our staff, please follow social distancing guidelines and stay at least two metres apart from others.
The Book of Remembrance, Prayer Room and the crematorium office are still closed to visitors.
Information and advice
For further burial and cremation service information, you can visit our Cemetery and Cremeatorium section.
If you need to speak to a member of our friendly team for advice, please email email@example.com or call 01206 282950.
Page last reviewed: 5 January 2021