Bereavement service changes
Following the Government’s measures to prevent the spread of coronavirus, our cremation services and burials are still taking place with certain restrictions.
Funerals, both cremation services and burials, are taking place with necessary restrictions to ensure the safety of both mourners and our staff.
Funeral directors are contacting their customers to inform, support and advise them of the restrictions in place. They will be able to help bereaved families to access the Obitus system webcast and funeral recording facilities.
The following advice for funeral services is in place.
- From 17 May, the crematorium and cemetery can hold funerals with up to 60 mourners in the chapel, providing social distancing measures can be followed.
- Staff will seat groups at respectful distances from each other inside the chapel, keeping people at least 1 metre apart.
- Stringent cleaning measures are in place. We will sanitise surfaces between funeral services and will ventilate the chapel as much as possible.
In addition to social distancing measures, the following rules are in place in Colchester Crematorium chapel.
- Face coverings must be worn by all mourners, funeral directors’ staff, ministers and celebrants.
- Singing and blown instruments will not be allowed in the chapel.
- Hand sanitiser should be used on your way in and out of the building.
GravesideThe following advice for graveside mourners is in place.
- From 17 May, any reasonable amount at a graveside, providing social distancing measures are followed.
- All attendees must keep a minimum distance of 1 metre apart
Ashes and wakes
A maximum of 6 people may attend an ashes burial or wake.
Cremation applicants should contact the crematorium office by email at email@example.com or by telephone 01206 282950 to get more information or to make an appointment.
Following an update to government coronavirus legislation, the cemetery is open to visitors.
To ensure the safety of yourself and our staff, please follow social distancing guidelines and stay at least two metres apart from others.
The Book of Remembrance, Prayer Room and the crematorium office remain closed to visitors.
Information and advice
For further burial and cremation service information, you can visit our Cemetery and Crematorium section.
Page last reviewed: 5 May 2021