Energy efficiency grants

Find out if you could save money on your energy bills by improving the energy efficiency of your home. 

Current government grants available:

  • Boiler Upgrade Scheme

Find more information on the Boiler Upgrade Scheme

  • ECO4 Flex

This grant scheme is for owner-occupiers, private rental sector tenants and landlords, and for properties fuelled by all energy types (gas, electric, oil, LPG etc).

Find more information on the scheme

  • Home Upgrade Grant (HUG2)

This grant scheme is for OFF- GAS grid properties ONLY (I.e, your main heating source is not gas) and is for Owner- Occupiers, Private Rental Sector tenants and Landlords (Landlords can receive 2/3 of funding and must not have a property portfolio of more than 4 properties).

Click here to find out more

  • The Great British Insultation Scheme (GBIS)

This grant scheme is for owner-occupiers, private rental sector tenants and landlords, and for properties fuelled by all energy types (gas, electric, oil, LPG etc).

This scheme is designed to deliver primarily single-measure insulation to households. There are varying qualifying criteria.

Check if your energy company is delivering GBIS.

If your  energy company is not listed, or is not offering GBIS, contact BHBH to check if you qualify for GBIS FLEX: 

Tel 0800 107 0044

  • Connected for Warmth

The Connected for Warmth scheme can provide full funding for cavity wall insulation, loft insulation and heating controls for your property if deemed suitable. Your property just needs to be in a Council Tax Band of between A-D and your energy performance certificate (EPC) between a C-G. You can check the council tax banding of your property and your energy performance certificate. If your property does not have an EPC then still consider applying as you will get a free energy survey completed as part of your application which leads to an EPC being produced. 

Funding is available for both homeowners and those in privately rented accommodation (with landlord permission). Apply direct at Connected for Warmth Scheme or call them direct on 0800 107 8576.

Useful links and documents: 

Local energy advice and help 

Community Energy Colchester  

A Colchester based organisation offering independent energy saving advice, support with energy retrofit recommendations and more. The organisation currently has funding to deliver free in person home visits to residents to offer energy advice, alongside providing free radiator reflector panels. If this is of interest please get in contact with Community Energy Colchester by email: or phone: 07799 494797.

Green Doctor

Groundwork’s Green Doctors help UK residents stay warm, stay well, and save money on household bills. Independent energy advice delivered by qualified professionals, to help you save money on your utility bills. 

Find out more about Green Doctor


Onboarding information for installers 

Colchester City Council has partnered with the Greater South East Net Zero Hub (GSENZ) to deliver HUG2, and are sourcing installers for retrofit work from the Hub’s Dynamic Purchasing System (DPS) which is suitable for all PAS2030:2019, MCS and Trustmark registered businesses, whether large or small.

Find guidance on the DPS process and further details on requirements for installers 

You can also contact if you have any questions.

Page last reviewed: 10 May 2024


Subscribe to receive updates on Council news, events and offers, green living, leisure and sport, museums, committees, jobs and more.