Cost of living support

Colchester City Council is providing support for residents facing the cost of living crisis.

Safeguarding children and adults with needs for care and support

The Council recognises the key importance of safeguarding vulnerable groups and raising awareness. We all have a duty to protect children and adults with needs for care and support.

We are committed to carrying out its responsibilities by ensuring that the needs and interests of children and adults with needs for care and support are considered by employees in the provision of services and in its decision-making.

What does Safeguarding mean?

The term 'safeguarding' can apply to both adults and children and is about protecting them, preventing their abuse or neglect and educating those around them to recognise the signs and dangers.

Those at risk may experience difficulty in making their feelings and needs known to others which can make them more vulnerable.

Safeguarding Policy

We follow the Southend, Essex and Thurrock (SET) guidelines which outline the basic safeguarding procedures. 

In addition, We have our own Safeguarding Policy to help us meet our legal duty to 'safeguard and promote the welfare of children', and to discharge our legal obligations towards adults with needs for care and support. We perform various functions and deliver a wide range of services - the policy aims to ensure that all of its activities take place within this context.

As a city Council, our key role is to share information with, and make referrals to, the investigating authority which is Essex County Council. We also have a duty to work in partnership with other key agencies such the as the local Safeguarding Boards, and to participate in audits and key reviews whose recommendations we adopt to ensure best practice.

Reporting a concern

If you are concerned about the child or adult’s immediate safety, contact the police on 999.

Essex County Council lead on safeguarding concerns involving adults and children. Their website has details on how to report a concern relating to an adult or child

You can also contact: 
  • Children and Families Hub - 0345 603 7627
  • Adult Social Care - 0345 603 7630
  • Emergency out of hours (child or adult) - 0345 606 1212

Further information

For more information on safeguarding children visit the Essex Safeguarding Children’s Board, or the Essex Safeguarding Adult's Board for more information on adult safeguarding. 

If you are a child, you can visit Childline or NSPCC for general advice on abuse and what to do if you or someone you know needs help. You can also call, email, or instant chat with someone.

Page last reviewed: 28 June 2022


Subscribe to receive updates on Council news, events and offers, green living, leisure and sport, museums, committees, jobs and more.