Apply for a road closure for events

If you would like to hold your own march, parade or sporting event on the highway (such as a running event) and need to apply for a road closure, please use the below guidelines: 

Step 1: Notify Services such as Police, Fire Service, Bus route providers. 
Step 2: Obtain Insurance. 
Step 3 :Acquire a Temporary Traffic Regulation Order (TTRO). 
Step 4: Complete Risk Assessment 

After these steps have been taken, there will be a consultation period after of which we will inform you if your event will be able to go ahead.  

Step 5: Apply for your road closure online.  

A minimum of 8 weeks' notice is required before the event. 

Processions/Parades/Sporting events 

For processions/parades/sporting events or any other event that is not a street party you will need to check with the police whether the area you have chosen for your event is suitable and notify them of the event. 

Any sporting events that take place on the Highway will require a Temporary Traffic Regulation Order (TTRO).

Find more information on TTROs and how to apply 

Police notification

We will do this through our consultation process, but we recommend that you discuss your plans with the police first.  

Address: Essex Police Traffic Management, Casualty Reduction Section, Community Engagement Team, Tylers Ride, South Woodham Ferrers, Essex, CM3 5XD  
Telephone: 01245 452280  

Other Services to notify 

In addition to the police, it is your responsibility to contact the following:  

Essex County Fire and Rescue Service  
Telephone: 01376 576600  
East of England Ambulance Service  
Address: East of England Ambulance Service Resilience Department, Great Notley, Braintree, CM77 7AH  
Telephone: 01376 555809  
First Essex Buses  
Telephone: 01245 263859 / 03445 6020121  
Arriva Colchester  
Telephone: 01206 877624  


You will need to provide valid liability insurance to the value of £5 million. When you apply online, you will need to provide the insurance company's name and address and your policy number.  

Temporary Traffic Regulation Order 

All sporting events (for example, running events) on the highway will require a Temporary Traffic Regulation Order (TTRO) in addition to your road closure application to Colchester City Council. All TTROs must be obtained via Essex Highways.  

Risk assessment 

A risk assessment is required for the road closure application. Please download this document here. 

Download the event risk assessment (Word document, 29KB) 

Please ensure that you had read the road closure and street party terms and conditions.  

Completing the online application form.

Once you have liaised with the key contacts and have completed the necessary documents, apply for your road closure via our online form.  

Apply for a road closure or street party  

When you complete the form, you will need to upload:   

  • The completed risk assessment. This is compulsory. Download the event risk assessment (Word document, 29KB)  
  • Valid liability insurance to the value of £5 million. This is for road closures only.  
  • A diversion route map. Please note that Colchester City Council will charge £100 if requested to assist with a diversion route map. 

We will consider your application, consult Essex County Council and Essex Police and then inform you of the outcome.  

If your application is approved, you will then have to inform all residents and businesses that may be affected by your event.   

Colchester City Council is unable to supply staff to assist at sporting events on the highway, such as organised road races or fun runs. There are commercial companies available that offer this service.  

The council has road closed signs, barriers and cones available to residents free of charge if collected from the Council’s Shrub End Depot. Delivery of equipment is £173.16 ex VAT.  

Page last reviewed: 5 June 2023


Subscribe to receive updates on Council news, events and offers, green living, leisure and sport, museums, committees, jobs and more.