Cost of living support

Colchester City Council is providing support for residents facing the cost of living crisis.


To trade on our markets, you will need to know your legal requirements and follow our rules and regulations.

Documents checklist

  • Public Liability Insurance (minimum cover £5 million)
  • Proof of Right to Work in the UK (passport or work permit)
  • Food Handling Certificate
  • Gas and electric safety certificates
  • Risk assessment
  • Covid-secure plan

Covid-secure requirements

In addition to your Covid-secure plan you must provide the following:

  • customer signage with clear instructions on how you manage your customer flow and all measures you have in place to be Covid-secure
  • hand-sanitiser
  • a protective screen or barrier

Food traders

If you are a new food business, your premises must be registered for a food safety inspection prior to trading.

Food trader must provide as a minimum:

  • a fire blanket
  • appropriate fire extinguisher for the appliances you used
  • hand-wash
  • water
  • a first aid kit

Covid-19 Regulations

Coronavirus (Covid-19) checklist (PDF, 321KB)

Market and street trading regulation documents

Risk assessments

Page last reviewed: 10 May 2021


Subscribe to receive updates on Council news, events and offers, green living, leisure and sport, museums, committees, jobs and more.