Local support and coronavirus (COVID-19) guidance

Colchester Borough Council is providing support for residents, businesses, and communities. The government has announced that England has returned to Plan A. You should continue to protect yourself and others. Find further guidance on GOV.UK.

Local Council Tax Support

If you are on low income and are eligible for other benefits then you may be able to get help with your Council Tax bill.


  • What Local Council Tax Support is
  • What factors are taken into consideration when deciding whether you are eligible for Local Council Tax Support
  • Which key features apply if you are eligible
  • How to apply

If you are on a low income or claim other benefits your Council Tax bill could be reduced through a scheme called Local Council Tax Support (LCTS).

You can apply if you own your home, rent, are unemployed or working.

Your eligibility and how much your bill is reduced by depends on:

  • your circumstances (eg income, number of children, benefits, residency status)
  • your household income - this includes savings, pensions and your partner’s income
  • if your children live with you
  • if other adults live with you

If you are entitled to Local Council Tax Support these key features will apply: 

  • All working age applicants pay a minimum of 20% of their Council Tax bill.
  • The first £25 per week that people earn is not taken into account when calculating LCTS.
  • Back to Work Support provides help to long-term unemployed residents who secure employment by giving them four weeks of Extended Reduction to their Council Tax.
  • The maximum period a claim for LCTS can be back dated is one month.
  • There is a flat rate non-dependant deduction of £12 regardless of income or savings.
  • Child Benefit is included as income, whereas Child Maintenance is disregarded, when calculating entitlement.
  • There is a £2.00 per week minimum level of entitlement.
  • If you reside in a property that is in Council Tax band D, or above, you will still receive support but to a maximum of band D

Applying for Local Council Tax Support


You can apply for Local Council Tax Support and Housing Benefit online.

Apply for Local Council Tax Support

Further information about Local Council Tax Support


Watch our Local Council Tax Support video

Local Council Tax Support Policy (PDF, 1.37MB)