Cost of living support

Colchester City Council is providing support for residents facing the cost of living crisis.

Report an Empty Home

Find out how to report an empty property here


  • How to report an empty property
  • What details to include

Do you know of an empty home? 

Homes that stand empty in the Colchester area are a target for squatters, vandals and burglars. Instead, they could be providing homes for the many people who need them. That's why, as part of our local plan to get empty homes back into use, we've made it easy for you to tell us about a home you know is empty. It doesn't matter whether it belongs to the council or is privately owned - we will find out why it is empty and keep you informed, if you provide us with your contact details.

When reporting the empty property, it would be helpful, if you can provide the following:

  • Your name and address and how you would like us to contact you i.e. email or telephone number? You do not have to give your details, but without these, we will not be able to keep you informed
  • Address of the property concerned
  • Details of the empty property, such as how long its been empty, type of property i.e. flat or house etc. Name and contact details of the home owner (if known)
  • Any comments about the empty property?
  • Pictures of the property

To report, please email us at

Please note: We cannot provide a list of privately owned empty properties in the Colchester area due to the Data Protection Act 1998. Your personal details will be held on a database and will only be used by Colchester Borough Council to contact you about the empty property you have reported. 


Related Articles