Local support and coronavirus (COVID-19) guidance

Colchester Borough Council is providing support for residents, businesses, and communities. The government has announced that England has returned to Plan A. You should continue to protect yourself and others. Find further guidance on GOV.UK.

My details/circumstances have changed

It is important that you let us know if there has been any change to your personal details or circumstances, i.e. a change of address.


  • When you need to tell us a change in details or circumstances has occurred.
  • Where to report your change.
  • Some information if you are renting from a Housing Association and your rent has changed or will change

Please remember to let us know straight away if any of your details or circumstances change as it may affect your entitlement to Housing Benefit or Local Council Tax Support. If any of the following apply to you please contact us:

  • If you change your address
  • If your income or savings change (increase or decrease)
  • If you start work or change jobs
  • If you or your partner go into hospital
  • If anyone joins or leaves your household or if their income changes
  • If a child leaves school

If you don't tell us about any changes, we may be paying you too little and you could be missing out. We may also be paying you too much and you may have to pay this back to us later.

It may be considered as fraud if you knowingly continue to receive Housing Benefit or Local Council Tax support when your entitlement may have changed.

Let us know about a change of details

I am renting from a Housing Association (Registered Social Landlord) and my rent has or will change

If you are receiving Housing Benefit, we normally receive notification or proof of this change straight from your landlord. Please contact your landlord if you are unsure. 

If a month has passed from the date your rent changed and you still have not heard from us, please contact us by emailing benefits@colchester.gov.uk or by calling 01206 282600 to notify us of the change, and upload documentary evidence here that shows the change in rent.

Related Articles