Become a Street Trader

Details of how you can become a street trader in Colchester


  • Street trading information and how to apply
  • Cost of pitches
  • Selling food items
  • Frequently Asked Questions

Street Trading pitches are located in Culver Street West. 

Street trading is in operation seven days a week. If you wish to trade on a Friday and Saturday you must apply to trade on Colchester Charter Market. 

You will be assigned a pitch depending on the size of the pitch you require and ensuring traders do not sell the same type of goods as nearby shops or other stall holders. 

Street Traders are allocated with a pitch only and not a canopy or fitments. Some of these pitches may be suitable for small mobile vehicles or trailers.  

Apply to become a Street Trader 

To apply to be a Street Trader please click here

A copy of the Rules and Regulations and Health and Safety guidance if you wish to sell food are shown on the Information and Regulations Page.

Market Information and Regulations

After completing your application form for a pitch you will be placed on a waiting list until an appropriate pitch becomes available.

Once you have been allocated a permanent pitch from which you can trade, payment must be received by the 15th of each month for the following months trading. Failure to do so may result in the pitch being rented to another trader.

Cost of pitches

The costs below are for the allocation of the pitch only and not for a canopy or fitments. 

Small pitch (2m x 2m) - £12.64 per day

Medium pitch (2.5m x 2.5m) - £17.70 per day

Large pitch (3m x 3m) - £20.23 per day 

Extra Large (2.5 x 5m) - £22.76 per day

Permanent Street Traders booking 10 days or more per calendar month benefit from these great discounts:

  • 10 - 15 days 10%

  • Over 15 days 20%

  • Extra 5% off for permanent Street Traders if you book three months or more (offer available until 15th December).

Casual trading

There is also an option to trade on a casual basis subject to availability. For more information email after the 20th of the month to see if there are any spaces available. 

An application form will still need to be completed and accepted onto the waiting list.

Payment and permits

Street traders can trade for as many or as few days as they wish. Payments for all trading days are paid in advance and refunds will not be issued under any circumstances. Traders will be issued with a trading permit which must be displayed at all times. Failure to do so may result in you being unable to trade.

Selling food items

If you are thinking of selling food items, please read the Market Food and Safety Guidance documents. More information can be found on the Information and Regulations page. 

Market Information and Regulations

Please note that you will receive a visit from our Environmental Health Officer while trading within the market and they will to make an assessment as to whether the Health and Safety Regulations are being adhered too. 

Trading hours

The market site will be available for setting up between 6am and 9am.  Stall holders must be set up ready to trade between the hours of 9am and 4pm. Stall holders vehicles must be removed by 8.45am and will not be allowed back on site until 4.30pm.  Stall holders must be clear of the area by 6pm. 

Use of generators

Please note that generators are permitted but they must be of a silent running type and you must have the appropriate fire fighting equipment at hand at all times. The equipment must be regularly serviced and maintained. The generator must not be placed in a position where it may cause a disturbance.

Insurance and Right To Work documentation 

Public Liability Insurance will be required and in place to a value of five million pounds of cover and Employer's Liability will be required for five staff and over. When completing your street trader application form you will be asked to provide details of your insurance company and policy number, along with proof of your right to work in the UK (UK Passport, Driving Licence or National Insurance Number).

Frequently Asked Questions

What do I do if I have a problem with another market trader or street trader? 

Disciplinary matters and disputes will be dealt with by the market inspector in the first instance and if necessary be referred to the appropriate Council Officer.  Breaches of rules or regulations will be discussed with the stallholder and they will be asked to correct any breaches or comply with any rules in the first instance. 

Can I get a refund if I have already paid to trade but I am/ have been unable to trade on some of these days? 

No refund will be granted for any period where the primary stallholder or the stallholder is unable to use a stall from the site for whatever reasons whatsoever. Stall age payments are payable whether you trade or not as the stallage area has been designated to you. 

Help and advice for existing Colchester businesses

Related Articles