Local support and coronavirus (COVID-19) guidance

Colchester Borough Council is providing support for residents, businesses, and communities. The government has announced that England has returned to Plan A. You should continue to protect yourself and others. Find further guidance on GOV.UK.

Make a Claim

Apply for Housing Benefit, Universal Credit or Local Council Tax Support


  • How to apply for Housing Benefit
  • How to apply for Universal Credit if applicable to you.
  • How to apply for Local Council Tax Support.
  • How to upload evidence if it is requested.

Apply for Housing Benefit or Local Council Tax Support

If you are liable for Council Tax and meet certain criteria, you can make a claim with us for Local Council Tax Support.

If you are of Working Age and have Housing Costs you would need to claim Universal Credit, from the Department for Work and Pensions, if you need help toward these (see below for exemptions). 

Some people can still claim Housing Benefit toward their housing costs instead of Universal Credit.

These exceptions are:

  • those above Pension Credit age
  • people in supported accommodation as defined by Housing Benefit regulations
  • those in temporary accommodation


Housing Benefit (for those exempt from Universal Credit) and Local Council Tax Support

Use the links below to make a claim for Housing Benefit/Local Council Tax support.


Colchester is a Universal Credit full service area

It replaced the following six benefits:

  • Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Working Tax Credits
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Housing Benefit (unless one of the exemptions above applies)

Find out more about Universal Credit and who can apply for it.


What next?

Once we have received your application we may ask you for some additional information.

Any documentation requested should be provided within a month of the date you applied. We can only process your application once we have received all the necessary documentation.

The best way of providing your documentation is to upload it yourself.

Once we have finished processing your application we send you an award letter confirming the amount of Housing Benefit and Local Council Tax Support you will receive.


Further information about Local Council Tax Support


Watch our Local Council Tax Support video

Local Council Tax Support Policy (PDF, 1.37MB)