Good news! There are no changes to Colchester’s recycling and rubbish collection days over the festive period this year.
As all collection days will remain the same across the borough, residents are advised to put their recycling and rubbish out by 7am on their normal collection day. Any resident needing to check what to put out, can view their recycling calendar online.
The council is also encouraging people to be mindful of what they waste over the Christmas and new year period. Nationally, we create 30 per cent more waste than usual over the Christmas period, however most of what is used at Christmas can be recycled:
- Wrapping paper, cards and envelopes can all be placed in the clear paper recycling bag, unless it's covered in glitter or metallic foil. Ribbons, bows and other adornments must be removed too.
- Glass bottles and cans can all be placed in green recycling boxes. Please separate these using two boxes, one for cans and one for glass.
- Turkey bones and other food scraps can go into the food waste caddy. Many leftovers can be frozen or reused. Check out lovefoodhatewaste.co.uk for great leftover recipes.
- Christmas trees can be recycled through St Helena Hospice's Tree-cycle scheme by signing up here, or sawn up and placed in the garden waste sacks/bin.
- Many plastic items such as bottles, pots and tubs can be recycle in a clear bag.
A full list of what items can and cannot be recycled in the borough is available online at colchester.gov.uk/recycling.
Cllr Simon Crow, Colchester Borough Council Portfolio Holder for Environment and Sustainability, said: “To help everyone enjoy Christmas that little bit more, I am pleased to say that there will be no day changes to bin collections this year. This has been possible because Christmas and New Year fall on a Saturday and Sunday.
“We’re asking everyone in Colchester to give a little extra thought to the environment by paying attention to what they purchase and what they throw in the bin. Lots of recycling information and tips are available online and via social media for residents to have a green and great eco-friendly Christmas.”
To find your recycling and rubbish collection calendar, enter your postcode at www.colchester.gov.uk/recycling.
Page last reviewed: 15 December 2021