Date issued: 14 December 2020
Colchester’s recycling and rubbish collection days are changing slightly over the festive period and residents are being advised to check their recycling calendars for their collection dates.
For residents, who received a collection on a Friday (Christmas Day and New Year’s Day), recycling and rubbish collections will be collected on the Monday after (28 Dec and 4 Jan). Collections on all other days will remain the same.
In Colchester, different recycling and rubbish types are collected on alternating weeks, known as Green and Blue Weeks. The order of these will remain the same.
The Council is also encouraging people to be mindful of what they waste over the Christmas and new year period. Nationally, we create 30 per cent more waste than usual over the Christmas period, however most of what is used at Christmas can be recycled:
- Wrapping paper, cards and envelopes can all be placed in the clear paper recycling bag, unless it's covered in glitter or metallic foil. Ribbons, bows and other adornments must be removed too.
- Glass bottles and cans can all be placed in green recycling boxes. Please separate these where possible using two green boxes, one for cans and one for glass.
- Turkey bones and other food scraps can go into the food waste caddy. Many leftovers can be frozen or reused.
- Christmas trees can be recycled through St Helena Hospice's Tree-cycle scheme by signing up here, or sawn up and placed in the garden waste sacks/bin.
- Many plastic items such as bottles, pots and tubs can be recycled.
A full list of what items can and cannot be recycled in the borough is available online at colchester.gov.uk/recycling.
Cllr Martin Goss, Colchester Borough Council Portfolio Holder for Waste, Environment and Transportation, said: “To help everyone enjoy Christmas we’re once again keeping recycling as easy as possible with minimal changes to festive collections.
“This Christmas, we're asking everyone to give a little thought to the environment by paying attention to what they purchase and what they throw in the bin. Lots of recycling information and tips are available online and via social media for residents to have a green and great Christmas.”
Tuesday 5 January.
To find your recycling and rubbish collection calendar, enter your postcode at www.colchester.gov.uk/recycling.
Page last reviewed: 14 December 2020