Date issued: 9 December 2019
Residents are being reminded that their recycling and rubbish collection days will change over Christmas and New Year and are advised to check their recycling calendars for their collection dates.
During Christmas week, there will be no collections on Christmas Day or Boxing Day. Collections which would normally fall on a Tuesday, will take place on Saturday 21 December and collections which usually take place on a Wednesday will take place on Tuesday (Christmas Eve). Thursday and Friday collections will be one day later than usual.
During the week commencing 31 December, the Wednesday to Friday collections will be one day later than usual.
In Colchester, different recycling and waste types are collected on alternating weeks, known as Green and Blue Weeks. The order of these will remain the same.
The council is also encouraging people to be mindful of what they waste over the Christmas and new year period. Nationally, we create 30 per cent more waste than usual over the Christmas period, however most of what is used at Christmas can be recycled:
- Wrapping paper, cards and envelopes can all be placed in the clear paper recycling bag, unless it's covered in glitter or metallic foil. Ribbons, bows and other adornments must be removed too.
- Glass bottles and cans can all be placed in green recycling boxes.
- Turkey bones and other food scraps can go into the food waste caddy. Many leftovers can be frozen or reused.
- Christmas trees can be recycled through St Helena Hospice's Tree-cycle scheme by signing up here, or sawn up and placed in the garden waste sacks/bin.
- Many plastic items such as bottles, pots and tubs can be recycled
A full list of what items can and cannot be recycled in the borough is available online at colchester.gov.uk/recycling.
Following the changes to kerbside plastic recycling earlier this year, residents are encouraged to visit colchester.gov.uk/plastics to view Frequently Asked Questions about local plastic recycling.
Councillor Mark Cory, Leader of Colchester Borough Council, said: “Due to the way the Christmas and New Year bank holidays fall this year, our recycling and rubbish collections dates are changing during 21 December – 4 January. We’re therefore encouraging residents to check their recycling calendar early, so they know when their collections are in this period.
“We would also encourage everyone to be mindful of the environment this Christmas and think about the items they purchase, such as wrapping paper without glitter or foil which can be recycled. It’s also important to consider whether some items are really needed and if so, can they be recycled or reused or are there more sustainable alternatives.”
Collection days for householders will return to normal on Tuesday 7 January.
To find your recycling and rubbish collection calendar, enter your postcode at www.colchester.gov.uk/recycling.
Page last reviewed: 9 December 2019