Local support and coronavirus (COVID-19) guidance

Colchester Borough Council is providing support for residents, businesses, and communities. The government has announced that England has returned to Plan A. You should continue to protect yourself and others. Find further guidance on GOV.UK.

Overpayments of Housing Benefit

When Housing Benefit is paid directly to you (the landlord) and there has been a change we may ask them to pay back any money which has been overpaid.


  • How we recover any overpaid money.
  • What we can do if there is difficulty repaying the money.
  • How you can report a change of details for you or your tenant.

When Housing Benefit is paid directly to you (the landlord) and there has been a change (i.e. the rent decreases, if your tenant moves out), we may ask you to pay back any money which has been overpaid.

Each case is decided on its own merits. If we decide that it is correct to recover the money from the Landlord, you will be sent an invoice. The invoice will show the period in which the overpayment occurred, the name of the tenant and the amount of overpayment.

If a landlord has difficulty repaying the money we may be able to offer a payment plan.

If a Landlord fails to make repayments of overpaid Housing Benefit we can recover outstanding payments from any future payments of Housing Benefit due to be paid.

It is important that you report any changes of details or circumstances to us straight away. 

Read more about changes you need to report

A tenant is also responsible for reporting any change of circumstances.

Report your Change of Circumstances here

Related Articles