Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Colchester Borough Council is monitoring the situation closely and will continue to take action to minimise disruption and keep residents and visitors safe.

Coronavirus: updates, advice and guidance

Gambling and Betting Premises Licence

Information and advice on how to apply for a Gambling and Betting Premises Licence


  • Do I need a Gambling and Betting Premises Licence?
  • Who can apply for a Gambling and Betting Premises Licence?
  • How do I apply for the licence?
  • Do I need to tell anyone else about the license application?

Gambling Policy Consultation

The Council is inviting comments on its Gambling Policy. These amendments include the introduction of measures designed to protect the public, safeguard children and vulnerable passengers, and keep drivers safe. The most significant changes to the proposed revised Gambling Licensing Policy are the requirement for applicants to carry out a risk assessment, and the development of a Local Area Profile (LAP) which maps risk factors across the borough and will help to identify areas that would not be suitable for new gambling premises.

View the Policy here

Any comments, observations or representations can be e-mailed to or made in writing to the Licensing Manager, Environment, 33 Sheepen Road, Colchester CO3 3WG.

The closing date for representations is 5 November 2018. 

Do I need a Gambling and Betting Premises Licence?

We are responsible for licensing premises that offer facilities for gambling.  This means  you will need a licence if you wish to run a gambling premises such as:

  • Bingo premises
  • Betting track premises
  • Betting (other) premises (eg betting shops)
  • Adult gaming centres; or
  • Family entertainment centres

The Gambling Commission regulates commercial gambling and is responsible for issuing and enforcing licenses for operators and personal licenses.  The Commission also provides guidance and advice to local authorities, the trade and government on commercial gambling.

Who can apply for a Gambling and Betting Premises Licence?

To apply for a Premises Licence you must:

  • be 18 years or older;
  • have the right to occupy the premises
  • be authorised to apply if you are doing so on behalf of a partnership or company; and
  • hold or have applied for an operator’s licence from the Gambling Commission for that gambling activity (except in the case of track betting when the premises licence holder may not be the same person offering the gambling)

How much does it cost to apply?

Please refer to our fees and charges to find the relevant fee for your application.

How do I apply for the licence?

Your application must be made using the relevant form, available here.

For new applications, provisional statements and variations to the layout of a premises with an existing licence, a plan must also be supplied.

You will also need to supply the appropriate fee when sending in your application.

Do I need to tell anyone else about the licence application?

Yes, first you must serve a notice of the application on each responsible authority

The application must be advertised on the premises. There is a 28 day consultation period which runs from the day after which the application is received by the Council.  You need to place a notice on the premises, or on the site of the premises if it has not been constructed, in a location that can be clearly read by the public at all times. 

This notice must be displayed for the whole 28 day consultation period.  If the premises has a frontage of more than 50 metres a notice must be displayed every 50 metres around the frontage of the premises. 

A notice of the application must also be advertised in a newspaper of local relevance, on at least one occasion, within 7 days of the application being made .

Will the Gambling and Betting Premises Licence be subject to any other conditions?

Yes. Every premises licence we issue will be subject to the mandatory or default conditions associated with that gambling activity. Mandatory conditions cannot be removed or changed in any way but if you are applying for a new licence you can request in the application to have the default conditions removed from the licence or amended. 

If you already have a licence you need to make a variation application to remove or amend the default conditions.  

Which national laws and regulations apply to this licence?

The laws and regulations can be found on the following websites.

Gambling Commission

The Gambling Act 2005 (Mandatory and Default Conditions) (England and Wales) Regulations 2007

What can I do if my application is not successful?

Please contact the Licensing, Food and Safety Team in the first instance. You can call on 01206 282520 or email