Panto Horse Derby Day Racing
Essex County Council Highways
0345 603 7631
Hale Way Street Party
We understand that road closures can be a bit of a pain. We can assure you that we will do everything we can to make sure that everything runs as smoothly as possible.
Please note that those who organise road closures are asked to let us know if they change their plans, however sometimes events may be cancelled at short notice.
Thinking of holding your own march, procession or parade? Applying for a road closure is easy, here's how:
1. Check with the Police whether the area you have chosen for your event is suitable. We will do this anyway through our consultation process but it would be best for you to discuss your plans with the Police first.
Contact Colchester's Community Policing team
2. Print and complete both these forms:
Road Closure Application Form and Guidance Notes
Event Risk Assessment Guidance Notes
Contacting us online is the quickest and easiest way of getting in touch, but you can still call us if you prefer.
3. Email them to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Do you need to write to us? Here is our postal address:
If you have any questions you can call us on 01206282700
4. We will consider your application, consult Essex County Council and Essex Police and then tell you the outcome.
5. If your application is approved, you will then have to inform all residents and businesses that may be affected by your event.
6. There may be charges for a road closure, ranging from £50 to £2000.
7. As well as applying to us, you may also be required to hold Public Liability Insurance and a Performing Rights Society Music Licence.
Lots of people in Colchester make their summers extra special by sharing food, playing games and enjoying music with their neighbours. If this sounds like something you would like to do please check out the information below:
Type of Road
Bigger streets or thoroughfare events. We may have to charge a fee to close roads for bigger events.
No Through Roads or traffic-free areas. If you're planning to hold a street party in this sort of area, we might not charge at all.
Noise levels - Please be considerate! Make sure everyone who might be affected knows in advance when the party is taking place. A high level of noise going on for a long time or late into the evening could lead to us not approving further applications you might want to make.
How to apply to organise a street party Please print and complete the two forms below and send them to: Operational Services PSU, Colchester Borough Council, Rowan House, 33 Sheepen Road, Colchester, CO3 3WG
Or email them to: Operational.PSU@colchester.gov.uk
Street Party Road Closure Application Form and Guidance Notes
The Safety Advisory Group (SAG) has been organised for authorities and agencies to liaise in relation to public events which are proposed to be held within the Colchester Borough. The SAG will help ensure events operate in a safe manner and in consideration for those affected by the event. The SAG will therefore provide assistance in ensuring event organisers are aware of and meet their responsibilities.
The importance of events occurring is recognised and the operation of the events is encouraged where they are suitably organised and operated.
The core members will comprise senior officers (or their representatives) from Colchester Borough Council, Essex Highways, Essex Fire and Rescue Service, Essex Police and the Ambulance Service.
You can find out more by viewing the SAG terms of reference and protocols.