Cost of living support

Colchester Borough Council is providing support for residents facing the cost of living crisis.

Saving Energy at Home

Advice and opportunities for saving energy and money at home.


  • Energy saving advice
  • Home energy improvement schemes and assistance
  • Affordable warmth

Energy Saving Home Improvements

There are a number of ways that you can make energy saving improvements, save on energy bills and make your home warmer such as:

Also take a look at the Energy Saving Trust's top 10 'quick wins' and see if you're saving as much energy as you could be.


Energy Saving Advice

To receive further free and impartial advice on energy saving measures you can contact:

The Energy Saving Trust

Phone: 0300 123 1234


Smart Meters

Smart Meters are the new generation gas and electricity meters being rolled out across Great Britain. They show you the amount of energy you use in near real time and how much you are spending in pounds and pence.

Every energy supplier will be providing smart meters to their customers between now and 2020. How soon you can get one depends on your supplier's plans.

How to switch to a Smart Meter?

Smart Energy GB is the voice of the smart meter rollout. It's their task to help everyone in Great Britain understand smart meters, the national rollout and how to use their new meters to get gas and electricity under control.

Visit the Smart Energy GB website for further information and advice:

Enform are a local advisor on the benefits of switching to a Smart Meter, to find out more go to or email or call 01206 367776.


Home Energy Improvement Schemes and Assistance

If you are a private home owner or tenant and are not able to afford or fund energy saving improvements in your property, there are a number of schemes, discounts and grants offered by the government that are available to certain eligible households.

Energy Company Obligation (ECO)

The ECO scheme obligates large suppliers to deliver energy efficiency measures to domestic premises in Britain and this scheme may be able to assist you in getting help for energy-saving improvements to your home if you're in receipt of certain benefits and own or privately rent your property.

You may be eligible to get all or part of the cost of insulation work, for example, loft or cavity walls, boiler replacements, repairs or other upgrades to your heating under this scheme.

Domestic Renewable Heat Incentive (RHI)

The Domestic RHI scheme could get you money towards renewable heating costs in your home if you run any biomass boilers, solar water heating systems or certain heat pumps.

You can apply if you live in England, Scotland or Wales and you must either own your home or be a private or social landlord.

Smart Export Guarantee

The Smart Export Guarantee replaces the Feed-in Tariff (FiT) payments made by Government for any renewable energy you generate from your property but do not use yourself.

You can find out more about the Smart Export Guarantee and your potential eligibility for these payments at

Energy Grants Calculator

If you're interested and want to find out if you may be eligible for an energy grant or help with heating costs, try using the governments energy grants calculator.


Affordable Warmth

There are a variety of affordable warmth payments that may be available to you, dependant upon your eligibility.

Energy Supplier Assistance

You may be able to get help towards energy-saving improvements if you own or privately rent your home, speak to your home energy supplier for more information.

Warm Home Discount Scheme

In certain circumstances households may qualify for a discount of up to £135 off their fuel bill. This will depend upon your personal circumstances and your energy supplier.

Cold Weather Payments

You may get a Cold Weather Payment if you're in receipt of certain benefits when your local temperature is either recorded as, or forecast to be, an average of zero degrees Celsius or below over 7 consecutive days.

If eligible you'll get a payment of £25 for each 7 day period of very cold weather between 1 November and 31 March.

Winter Fuel Payments

You could get between £100 and £300 tax-free to help pay your heating bills if you were born on or before 5 January 1953. This is known as a 'Winter Fuel Payment'.


Related Articles