Local support and coronavirus (COVID-19) guidance

Colchester Borough Council is providing support for residents, businesses, and communities. The government has announced that England has returned to Plan A. You should continue to protect yourself and others. Find further guidance on GOV.UK.

Archaeology Advice and Historic Environment Record Supporting Documents

When submitting an application, you need to provide some documents.


  • What supporting documents you need to submit
  • How much it costs
  • Apply for Archaeology Advice or HER

When submitting an application, you need to provide some documents.

What supporting documents you need?

Along with the fully completed application form and fee, the following must be submitted:


  • The planning application number (if you have one)
  • A scaled location plan (proposed and existing) outlining the site in red
  • Agent details (if you have one)
  • You will also need to provide a short description of the development

Historic Environment Record (HER)

  • The National Grid reference or Point of Interest and Search Area (radius)
  • Tell us the format of the data if you require digital mapping data (e.g. Autodesk AutoCAD DWG/DXF or ESRI shapefiles)


Check what fee is applicable


To request Archaeology Advice & HER please click on the link below to be taken to the application form.

Archaeology Advice & HER Application Form
Documents to go with your Application