Student or Trainee Discount

Council Tax discounts for Students and Trainees


  • Who qualifies for a Student/Trainee Exemption or Discount.
  • How you can apply and what information you will need.
  • What happens once you have applied.
  • How to notify us of a change in circumstances.

Who qualifies for an exemption/discount? 

If you are a student, trainee or apprentice you can apply for an exemption or discount to your Council Tax. You must be one of the following:

  • A student taking a full-time course of education which lasts at least one academic or calendar year at a recognised educational establishment. Students must undertake a full-time course for at least 24 weeks.
  • A foreign language assistant who is registered with the Central Bureau for Educational Visits and Exchanges
  • A student under 20 years of age taking a qualifying course of education, for at least 12 hours per week between 8.30am and 5.30pm.
  • A student nurse taking a course leading to a Diploma in Higher Education in Nursing or registration under Section 10 of the Nurses, Midwives and Health Visitors Act 1979.
  • An apprentice if you are employed learning a trade, business, profession, office employment or vocation that leads to a qualification recognised by the National Council for Vocational Training. Your wage must be less than £195 per week and be expected to go up when you are qualified.
  • A Youth Training trainee who is under 25 and on a recognised youth training scheme.


How do I apply?

To apply you will need a certificate from the registrar of the student's school, college or university or a letter from the trainee's employer stating:

  • Your name
  • Your school, college or university, or if appropriate, employer
  • The name of your course
  • Course start date and end dates
  • Your date of birth – for qualifying courses only
  • Proof of income if applying as an apprentice

To apply please complete our online application form.

Apply for a Student/Trainee Discount


What happens once I have applied?

If you are eligible, a new bill will be sent with your discount or exemption applied.

Until you get your new bill, you should continue to pay your Council Tax as normal.


What should I do if my circumstances have changed?

If your circumstances change you must tell us know straight away as failure to do so could lead to a fine.

You can let us know about a change of address online. 

My address has changed

or you can email us about a change of circumstances:


Related Articles