Created with Lunacy
The General Election takes place on Thursday 12th December - with polls open from 7AM until 10PM. For more information, please visit our election pages.

Disability Reduction

Council Tax reduction for people with a disability


  • Who is eligible for a Disability Reduction.
  • How to apply for a Disability Reduction.
  • What happens once you apply.
  • What you need to do if you move house or if your circumstances change.

Your Council Tax can be reduced if at least one person living in your home has a disability or where your home has certain features that are essential to the disabled person.

The amount of reduction you can receive is worked out by your "valuation band" and the reduction is to lower your band to the next lowest from the band you are on now. For example, your home could be a band C and the reduction would take it to a band B

If your home is already band A then you would still get a discount.

Who is eligible for a Disability Reduction?

To be entitled to a Disability Reduction you must be substantially and permanently disabled and your home must have one of the following features;

  1. a room, but not a bathroom, a kitchen or a toilet, which is predominantly used by (whether for providing therapy or otherwise) and is required for meeting the needs of any qualifying individual resident in the dwelling; or
  2. a bathroom or kitchen which is not the only bathroom or kitchen within the dwelling and which is required for meeting the needs of any qualifying individual resident in the dwelling; or
  3. sufficient floor space to permit the use of a wheelchair required for meeting the needs of any qualifying individual resident in the dwelling.

To qualify, the feature must be essential or of major importance to the disabled person’s wellbeing due to the nature of his/her disability.

We must therefore consider whether, if this room was not available in the home, would the disabled person find it impossible or extremely difficult to live there and would their health or disability be made more severe?

How can I apply? 

To apply please complete our online form.

Apply for a Disability Reduction

What happens once I apply? 

As part of the process in making a decision we would normally visit your home so a contact telephone number would really help us get in touch with you.

If you qualify we will send you a new bill showing your reduction and the amount left to pay. Until you get your new bill please keep paying your usual amount.

What should I do if I move/my circumstances change? 

If your circumstances change please let us know straight away as failure to do so could lead to a fine.

You can email us or your can complete our online form.

Related Articles