Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently asked questions related to reminder notices and final reminder notices


  • FAQs related to Council Tax reminders

I am moving house, what do I need to do?

If you are moving to, moving within or moving out of Colchester Borough, you can let us know that your address will be changing online.

Let us know about a move


I am an owner/agent and I have tenants moving in/out of a property. What can I do?

If you are a landlord and wish to notify us, please email


Can I change my Council Tax payment date and frequency (monthly, fortnightly or weekly)?

Yes, please email with your current date and frequency details


What can I do if I cannot pay?

If your Council Tax is not paid, we will take legal action against you. This could end up costing you more money.

You might be entitled to a reduced bill, help with your payments or we might be able to come to a payment arrangement with you.

Our Help and Support section has more information about what happens if you can not pay and need some help or support.


Am I entitled to a discount or exemption?

Find out about the different types of discounts and exemptions here


What is Single Person Discount?

Council Tax is based on two adults being resident in the property. If only one person is resident they are entitled to a 25% discount.

Find out more about Single Person Discounts


I/we are students, how do I notify Colchester Borough Council about this?

Students, trainees and apprentices could be entitled to an exemption or discount if they fulfil certain criteria.

Find out more about Student/Trainee Discounts


I am experiencing financial hardship, where can I find help?

Find out more about the advice and support available here


Related Articles