Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Colchester Borough Council is monitoring the situation closely and will continue to take action to minimise disruption and keep residents and visitors safe.

Coronavirus: updates, advice and guidance

Dangerous Wild Animals

Any person wishing to keep certain species of 'dangerous wild animals' is required to hold a licence under the dangerous Wild Animals act 1976


  • Find out if you need a Dangerous Wild Animal License
  • What is required for the license to be granted.
  • How to apply for a license and how much it costs.
  • How long the license is valid for.

Do I need a Dangerous Wild Animals licence?

Any person who wishes to keep certain species of ‘dangerous wild animals’ is required to hold a licence under the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976. The animals that fall within in the DWA are defined under schedule 4.

However, this does not apply to Zoos, Circuses or Pet Shops which are separately licensed.

The definition of “keeping” a dangerous wild animal by a person is if the animal is in his or her possession. If an animal cannot be said to be in the possession of anybody it is treated as being in the possession of the person who last had it in his or her possession.

A list of kinds of dangerous wild animals can be found here. 

What is required for a license to be granted?

The standards of safety and accommodation for the animal is the main point we consider when deciding whether to issue a license. You will also need public liability insurance and this must be provided by you before a licence is granted.

Your premises and animal may be inspected by our officers and a vet.

How do I apply for a licence?

Download the Dangerous Wild Animals Licence Application Form

How much does it cost to apply?

See our licensing fees & charges

How long will my application take?

We aim to turn the application around within 28 days. Note a licence can be varied at any time.

How long is the license valid for?

The licence is valid for one year beginning on the day on which it was granted.

What can I do if my application is unsuccessful?

If you are refused a licence, or refused the renewal of a licence, in the first instance you should contact the Licensing, Food and safety Manager. If you are still not satisfied, you can from the date of the refusal and within 21 days of being notified of the refusal, appeal to the local Magistrates' Court.

What can I do if I am unhappy with conditions regarding my licence?

Initially they appeal to the Licensing, Food and Safety Manager regarding the conditions. Then if you still not satisfied you may appeal to a local Magistrates' Court.

Related Articles