Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Colchester Borough Council is monitoring the situation closely and will continue to take action to minimise disruption and keep residents and visitors safe.

Coronavirus: updates, advice and guidance

How to report problems and bring reviews

How to report a problem if you are being adversely affected by a licensed premises


  • Who should I report my problem to?
  • How to request a review of a premises licence

f you are being adversely affected by the operation of a premises, after it has been granted a licence or varied its licence under the Licensing Act 2003, there are a number of things you can do.

Initially you should contact the licensee and discuss your concerns as they may not be aware that their premises is causing you problems.  This action may quickly resolve the situation.

You can contact the Council or one of the other responsible authorities to report the problem.  The appropriate authority will depend on the nature of the problem.

  • Crime and anti-social behaviour - Essex Police 101 or in an emergency 999 or by email to
  • Public nuisance including noise nuisance - Environmental Protection 01206 282581/2 during office hours or 01206 282652 for the out of hours noise team on Fridays and Saturdays between the hours of   21.00 and 01.00 or by email to
  • Breaches of licence conditions and general licensing concerns - Licensing Specialist Unit 01206 507889 or by email to

It is important that you keep a record of the dates and times when problems occur.  This assists the council in building a complete picture of the problem and may be of use if it is decided to take enforcement action or if you decide to call a review of the licence.

A review of a premises licence or club premises certificate can be requested by anyone but it must be based on issues arising at or in the vicinity of the premises and in relation to one or more of the licensing objectives which are the prevention of crime and disorder; the prevention of public nuisance; public safety; and the protection of children from harm.

An application must be made in writing to the Council at the address below.  You must give a copy of the application and any supporting documentation to the holder of the premises licence to which the review relates, and to each responsible authority on the same day on which the application is served on the Licensing Authority.

Licensing, Food and Safety Manager
Colchester Borough Council
Rowan House
33 Sheepen Road

For details of the holder of a premises licence, please contact us at

You can find more information about Reviews using the links and documents below.