Personal Licences

You or a member of your staff must hold a personal licence if you sell alcohol from licensed premises.


  • Do I need a Personal Licence?
  • Who can apply for a Personal Licence
  • How do I apply for a Personal Licence
  • How much does it cost to apply?

Do I need a Personal Licence?

You will need a Personal Licence if you want to be the designated premises supervisor for any business that sells or supplies alcohol. 

Who can apply for a Personal Licence?  

To apply for a Personal Licence you must be aged 18 years or older and hold an accredited qualification, for example; a BII Level II examination certificate or the EDI NCPLH Level 2. If you want to know more about the qualifications that are accepted, please check this list of accredited personal licence qualification providers

You will also need to have and provide a basic, current criminal conviction disclosure form which must be no more than a month old when the application is submitted. Please see the list of responsible organisations who provides basic check services.

How much does it cost to apply?  

A Personal License is £37.00.

How can I apply?

You can find the application form for a Personal Licence on the GOV.UK website.

Once you have a form and have completed it, you will need to submit it along with these supporting documents: 

  • the pass certificate from the accredited qualification course; 
  • your criminal conviction disclosure form; 
  • two passport size photos of you (one suitably endorsed that it is a true likeness of you) 

Apply online now

What happens after I submit my application? 

Providing all forms and documents are correct and present, a personal licence and badge will be issued. Once issued the licence will last indefinitely. 

Although this licence lasts indefinitely,  you will need to notify us if your address changes, for a replacement licence to be issued. There is a charge for a replacement licence. 

Related Articles