Direct payments to landlords

You can request your tenant’s Local Housing Allowance (LHA) is paid to you as long we are paying Housing Benefit to your tenant. You will need to provide supporting documents if your tenant is in arrears.

Housing Benenfit is usually paid directly to the claimant. Payments will only be made to the landlord if:

  • we consider that a tenant is unlikely to pay their rent
  • we think that a tenant may have difficulty managing their money
  • it will help the tenant secure or keep their tenancy
  • a tenant is more than 8 weeks in arrears with their rent - you will need to provide evidence to show the amount of arrears, the number of weeks and the details of any action you have taken

To request that payment is made directly to you email with any supporting evidence. 

Page last reviewed: 2 April 2024