Reporting a stray dog
If you have found a dog, or your pet is missing, please report it to us and we will do our best to reunite lost pets with their owners.
We collect stray dogs which are lost and found in the Colchester area and keep them in a kennel.
What to do if you find a lost dog
Follow this advice to help reunite pets with their owners.
- If the dog is wearing a collar and tag, please attempt to contact the dog’s owner yourself.
- Contact our Animal Control team on 01206 282581 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm) and let them know that you have found a dog. A member of the team will then arrange to come and collect the dog from you.
- During busy periods, it can take us some time to collect the dog. While you are waiting, try walking the dog around the area that it was found in case the owner is already looking for them.
- Take the dog to a local vet and ask them to scan it to see if they are microchipped. If they are, the vet can contact the owner.
- Do give the dog some water but avoid feeding them. Some dogs do not travel well once fed.
What to do if you have lost your dog
Follow this advice if you have lost your dog.
- Contact our Animal Control team on 01206 282581 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm) and let us know that your dog is lost. We will put a description of your dog on the Lost Dog Register.
- If your dog is microchipped, call your chipping company to inform them that your dog is missing and check that your contact details are up to date.
- Search the Found Dog Register to read descriptions of dogs that have been found by us.
- Contact your local vets or rehoming centres to report your dog as missing in case they are handed in.
What happens if the Animal Control team finds your dog
Any dog found in a public place and not under the control of the owner will be treated as a stray. Our Animal Control team will take the following steps to reunite lost pets with their owners.
- If your dog is wearing a collar or is microchipped, we will attempt to contact you in the first instance.
- Any dog that cannot be immediately reunited with its owner will be made comfortable in a kennel.
- If your lost dog needs to be placed in our kennels, we will require you to pay a kennelling fee before we can arrange to return your dog to you. The kennelling fee is £22 per day.
- A stray dog penalty fee of £75 must also be paid before we can return your dog to you.
- If we find your dog and need to take them to the vet, we will also require you to pay the veterinary fees.
- Once the necessary fees have been paid, we will arrange to reunite you with your dog.
Page last reviewed: 5 October 2020