Colchester eCargo bike library
Make the change to an eCargo bikeAn electric cargo bike, often called an eCargo bike, is an electric delivery bike with purpose-built storage. The bikes come in different shapes and sizes to suit whatever is being transported, whether that be food, flowers, parcels or heavy goods.
They offer a sustainable, low cost and environmentally friendly way of delivering goods and services.
A study by the Active Travel Academy at the University of Westminster found that electric cargo bikes deliver about 60% faster than vans in city centres.
The bikes also cut carbon emissions by 90% compared with diesel vans, and by a third compared with electric vans.
Interested in trying one?We have six eCargo bikes available for local businesses and organisations to try for a FREE short-term loan. Contact us using the details below for further information and advice about the bikes available.
AdvantageseCargo bikes have many advantages over the use of cars and vans.
- Low-cost – low running costs: no fuel or tax bill to pay, and can travel up to 50 miles on a full battery
- Versatile - use routes that cars and vans cannot, including cycle paths and bus lanes
- Convenient - can be parked right on the doorstep for easier loading/unloading
- Green - emission and pollution-free transport
- Active - healthy way to travel leading to fitter, healthier staff
- No sweat – electric-assist helps with speeds up to 15.5mph and faster under your own steam
How to arrange your trial
- Look at our bikes and see which one would suit your needs - cargo bikes come in all shapes and sizes; we even have an eCargo trailer.
- Work out where you would store the eCargo bike/trailer - somewhere secure and indoors.
- You will need to complete Bikeability level 3 training. This is required for all riders and is generally really useful for anyone who cycles. Training is currently provided by Safer Essex Roads Partnership for just £10 (normal price £70).
- You will also need to pay a small fee of £20 a month to cover insurance for the eCargo bike/trailer and provide evidence that you have Public Liability insurance in place to cover your activities.
- Contact email@example.com to express your interest and discuss next steps.
What we offer your business or organisation
- Free short-term loan of a minimum of 1 month
- Fully working electric cargo bike
- Two gold-rated secure bicycle locks
- Helmet if required
- Information and advice
- Breakdown service
- A low-risk chance to see how an eCargo bike can help your business or organisation
Get 40% off the cost of buying an eCargo bikeBorrow one of our eCargo Bikes for a short term loan then apply for 40% towards the purchase of your own eCargo bike through the Energy Savings Trust (closing date 14 December 2021).
More about the Colchester eCargo bike projectThe six eCargo bikes on loan are just part of an overall fleet of 25 electric cargo bikes and 5 electric trailers that are being used throughout the borough by council teams and local champions to carry out their business. All bikes have been purchased with funding from the Energy Saving Trust and are part of our ongoing commitment to take action on climate change.
Page last reviewed: 24 November 2020