Home Upgrade Grant

Home Upgrade Grant (HUG2) is a new government grant scheme for off-gas grid properties (I.E properties that do not use gas as their main heating source). These properties are likely to be hit hardest by increased energy bills.
The grant scheme will provide funding to improve the energy efficiency of eligible properties by installing energy efficiency measures, which could include:
  • Insulation (Loft, Internal/External/Cavity/Under-floor)
  • Solar PV (specific criteria applies)
  • Boiler upgrade or replacement (this will not be offered as a single measure- conditions and criteria applies)
  • Air Source Heat Pumps
  • Double Glazing
The grant scheme is open to owner-occupiers, Private Sector tenants and landlords. (Landlords can receive 2/3 funding for installed measures, and must have a property portfolio of no more than 4 properties)

Not all the above measures may be offered or suitable for qualifying properties. This will depend on building surveys, assessment, and recommendations from our retrofit installers.

Eligibility and qualifying properties

  • Colchester City Council has identified properties that potentially qualify and others that automatically qualify for this scheme. These properties will be contacted by letter directly by Colchester City Council.
Unless informed you automatically qualify, households must have:
  • an EPC (Energy Performance Certificate) rating of D-G.
  • Find an energy certificate. If yours is not listed, you may still apply.
  • A household income not exceeding £31,000.00 or be in receipt of an eligible benefit as listed below:
    • Universal Credit
    • Council Tax Reduction/Support Benefit (not Single Occupancy or another discount)
    • Income Related Employment & Support Allowance
    • Income-Based Jobseeker’s Allowance
    • Income Support
    • Housing Benefit 
    • Pension Credit
    • Winter Fuel Payment or Cold Weather Payment
    • Child Tax Credits Working 
    • Tax Credits

How to apply

If you have received a letter or think you may qualify, call Energy Saving Trust on 0808 196 8255.

You can also apply online

What happens after you apply

After applying either online or through the contact number, your application will be checked for eligibility, and if it is thought that you may qualify, you will be contacted by the Managing Agents, Warmworks, who will arrange for an initial survey to be conducted at the property to check what measure could be installed.  You will be advised throughout the process on timelines and progress.
Image 1    
Image 2

Page last reviewed: 16 November 2023


Subscribe to receive updates on Council news, events and offers, green living, leisure and sport, museums, committees, jobs and more.