Search site

Student or trainee discount

Who can apply for these discounts?

  • A student taking a full-time course of education which lasts at least one academic or calendar year at a recognised educational establishment. Students must undertake a full time course for at least 24 weeks.
  • A foreign language assistant who is registered with the Central Bureau for Educational Visits and Exchanges
  • A student under 20 years of age taking a qualifying course of education, for at least 12 hours per week between 8.30am and 5.30pm.
  • A student nurse undertaking a course leading to a Diploma in Higher Education in Nursing or registration under Section 10 of the Nurses, Midwives and Health Visitors Act 1979.
  • An apprentice if they are employed learning a trade, business, profession, office employment or vocation that leads to a qualification recognised by the National Council for Vocational Training. Their wage must be less than £195 per week and be expected to rise when they are qualified.
  • A Youth Training trainee who is under 25 and on a recognised youth training scheme.  

Apply for a Student or Trainee Discount This link opens in a new browser window

To apply you will need:

A certificate from the registrar of the student's school, college or university or a letter from the trainee's employer stating:

  • your name
  • your school, college or university, or if appropriate, employer
  • the name of your course
  • course start and end dates
  • your date of birth - for qualifying courses only
  • proof of income if applying as an apprentice

If you are eligible, a new bill will be sent with your discount or exemption applied. Until you get your new bill, you should continue to pay in line with your current payment schedule.

Change of circumstance?

Please let us know straight away if there are any changes that affect your discount or exemption. Failure to inform the Council of any changes could lead to a fine. This includes where someone moves in or out of the property or when a student or trainee finishes a course

information icon Displays a larger version of this image in a new browser window From time to time we may send you a review form asking to confirm the details of people living in your home. If there is a change, we will adjust your Council Tax bill from the date the change occurred.