Search site

Housing Benefit and Local Council Tax Support Overpayments

What are overpayments?

An overpayment is where you have been paid more Housing Benefit or awarded more Local Council Tax Support to which you are entitled. You may have to pay this back, even if there was no fault on your part.

One of the most common reasons why overpayments occur is due to a change in your circumstances. There could be a number of reasons. For example:

  • An increase in your income
  • Someone moving in with you
  • You move out of the property

If an overpayment arises, we are duty bound to claim the money back.

How will the overpayment be recovered?

If you are still receiving Housing Benefit, the amount you receive will be reduced by a set amount each week until you have cleared the overpayment.  You will need to pay extra rent to your Landlord/rent account to make up the difference.

If your Housing Benefit is paid directly to your Landlord, you will need to pay extra rent to your Landlord to make up the difference.

If you are not in receipt of Housing Benefit, we may apply for deductions from other benefits you receive.

If the overpayment is for Local Council Tax Support, we will add the amount of the overpayment to your Council Tax account.

If you are not in receipt of any benefits, we will issue an invoice.

Help and Information

It is your responsibility to contact us straight away if:

  • you think you are being overpaid
  • your circumstances change

If you think the overpayment is a mistake, you should contact us within one month to review the decision again.

If you receive a request from us to provide information relating to your overpayment, this may help to reduce your overpayment.