Search site

Apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP)

Each year we receive a limited amount of Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP) funding from the Department for Work and Pensions for customers in need of some additional help with their housing costs. DHP's cannot be awarded to help towards Council Tax liability or costs.

Who can get a DHP?

To receive a DHP an applicant must be entitled to:

  • Housing Benefit (HB); or
  • Universal Credit (UC) Housing Element; and
  • Be responsible for the rent; and
  • Need extra financial help with housing costs.

These extra payments are discretionary and do not fall under the normal Housing Benefit rules.

What is not covered by DHP?

Service charges that cannot be covered by HB or UC Housing Element

  • Increases in rent due to outstanding rent arrears
  • Sanctions and reductions in Benefit
  • Benefit Suspensions
  • Rent, when the applicant is getting Local Council Tax Support but not HB or help with housing costs in UC
  • Shortfalls caused by HB or UC overpayment recovery
  • Council Tax liability or charges

How do I apply for DHP?

1. pdf icon Read the DHP Guidance for Residents 2018-19 [358kb] to find out if you can apply for DHP.

2.If you are eligible for DHP Apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment online.

We will decide each case individually on the information you give us, so it's important you tell us as much as possible about your financial and personal situation.

What happens if I do not agree with your decision?

If you disagree with our decision not to give you DHP, or with the amount, or with the length of the award you can ask us to reconsider our decision. Please contact us and explain why you do not agree with our decision.