Search site

Check, Challenge, Appeal

How to challenge your rateable value and information on the appeals process

'Check, challenge, and appeal'

If you disagree with your rateable value you must make a representation to the Valuation Office Agency (VOA) rather than Colchester Borough Council (CBC).

From 1 April 2017, VOA launched a new three stage process for challenging the 2017 valuation information for property and land.

The 'CHECK, CHALLENGE, APPEAL' system has been designed to get any necessary changes made sooner without there being the need for appeal. 

The new system is easier to navigate, particularly for small businesses or unrepresented ratepayers, with the emphasis on early engagement by the parties to reach a swift resolution of cases.


The purpose of the Check stage is to agree on the correct property information.

If you think that any factual details about the land or property are incorrect then the Valuation Office Agency need to be informed.

This can be done through the Valuation Office Agencies on-line service

The Valuation Office Agency will verify the property details and amend if necessary.


If you do not agree with the outcome of a Check, a Challenge can be made.  Most enquiries are expected to be resolved during a Check as the process is based on facts about the property.


An appeal on your 2017 rateable value is not possible, and may not be necessary, until you have completed both the CHECK and CHALLENGE stages.

If you cannot reach an agreement with the Valuation Office Agency at Challenge stage then there is the right to appeal to the Valuation Tribunal. 

The Valuation Tribunal for England (VTE) will only become involved when the matter cannot be resolved. 

If you have reason to believe that your 2017 rateable value is not correct, please follow the full instructions provided on the VOA's website.

Please continue paying Business rates until you have been notified of any change to your Business Rates.

What is I disagree with the 2010 List

The 2010 rating list is now closed and appeals can only be made in limited circumstances.

More information is available here