Search site

Access Licence Agreements

Our Parks and Recreation Team issue and manage a number of Access Licence Agreements. These allow you access for personal use onto or across land that is managed by the Parks and Recreation Team, so the use can be formalised and regulated.

What is an access licence agreement?
You may benefit from creating an access from your property onto the adjoining land belonging to us. For example, the access that is created may enable you to access your property to park a car off the street or may provide an alternative access to your home or garden. Where our land is involved in providing such access, an Access Licence Agreement is required.

Do I need an access licence agreement?
If you wish to create an access from a boundary of your property across our land (including public open space) you will require an Access Licence Agreement. Without an Access Licence you will not have authority to pass over our land managed by the Parks and Recreation Service for the purpose of gaining entry to your property by vehicle, on foot or for the purpose of parking a vehicle. In the event that access has been created from a residential property onto our land without obtaining the necessary Access Licence Agreement, we may block any access to prevent unauthorised use. This may include the removal of any unapproved features including surfacing that is on our land. We reserve the right to recover any costs associated with making good any land that has been used for the purposes of an unauthorised access.

What kind of access licence agreement do I need?
There are three main licences which are issued as below:

  • To gain pedestrian access onto our land through a rear gate from the Access Licence holder's property;
  • To pass via vehicle over our land to access the rear of the Access Licence holder's property; and
  • To pass via vehicle and to park on our land adjacent to an Access Licence holder's property.

How much does an access agreement cost?
An annual charge is made for the Access Licence:

Pedestrian Access
1 April 2018 to 31 March 2019: £43.21 (excludes VAT)

Vehicle and Pedestrian Access
1 April 2018 to 31 March 2019: £86.41 (excludes VAT)

Vehicle, Parking and Pedestrian Access
1 April 2018 to 31 March 2019: £151.87 (inc VAT)

Admin Fee
1 April 2018 to 31 March 2019 £50 (excludes VAT)

How do I obtain an access agreement?
pdf icon Apply for an Access Licence Agreement [180kb]
For further information e-mail or telephone 01206 508805
We are not obliged to enter into an Access Agreement and each application will be considered on its merits. The decision will take into account the impact that the proposed access will have on the enjoyment of the adjacent land by others, and the implications of maintenance of the land in question.

What do I do if I want to cancel an existing licence?
If you no longer wish to continue an Access Licence you need to contact us to terminate the Access Licence Agreement. Efforts to block up the access that has previously been established will be made at the point of termination by the licensee. An Access Licence Agreement cannot be transferred to another property owner.