Search site

High hedges

Find out what you can do if you think that a hedge on a garden boundary is too high, and how to make a complaint.

Legislation relating to High Hedges comes into force on 1 June 2005. Part 8 of the Anti-social Behaviour Act created new procedures which will enable local authorities to deal with complaints about high hedges. Where negotiation has failed, a complaint can be made to the council who will assess the case, acting as an independent and impartial third party.

If you believe that a neighbour's hedge constitutes a nuisance to you then you may be able to complain to the Council under the new legislation.  

For further information visit the High Hedges area of the Department of Communities and Local Government website

High Hedges: complaining to the Council is a leaflet produced by the DCLG that will help you decide whether to complain to the council about a nuisance hedge.

If you feel that you have a valid case and would like to make a complaint, please note that there is a fee payable (currently £450), for the service and this must be submitted with your complaint.

pdf icon High Hedges Complaint Form [78kb]