Search site

Personal Licences

The personal licence is designed to ensure that anybody running or managing a business that sells or supplies alcohol will do so in a professional fashion. Once you receive your personal licence, you can act as the designated premises supervisor for any business that sells or supplies alcohol.

Applying for a Personal Licence

In order to apply for a Personal Licence, you must be aged 18 years or over, and must hold an accredited qualification for example, a BII Level II examination certificate or a similar accredited qualification such as the EDI NCPLH level 2 qualification.  The aim of the qualification is to ensure that licence holders are aware of licensing law and the wider social responsibilities involved in the sale of alcohol. Please see the list of accredited personal licence qualification providers. You will also need to provide a basic criminal conviction disclosure form. Please see the list of responsible organisations who provides basic check services.

When you have the pass certificate from the course and your CRB you should submit these together with two photos (one suitably endorsed that it is a true likeness of you), and the forms (the application for a personal licence to sell alcohol form and the disclosure of convictions and declaration form)  together with the fee of £37 to the Council. The application can then be processed and assuming there are no problems with the application a personal licence and badge will be issued to you; the licence will last indefinitely.  Please note you are required to advise us if you change your address.

On 1 April 2015 the requirement for Personal Licence Holders to renew their licence annually was removed and these licences now last indefinitely. Licences will not be reissued and you should retain your existing licence.

If you change your name or address, you're legally required to let us know so we can update your licence, which there is a £10.50 charge for. There is also a £10.50 charge to replace lost personal licence cards and/or permits.


Further information about Personal Licences and how to apply for one can be found here.