Search site

Riding Establishments

A person keeping a horse riding establishments is required to be licensed under the Riding Establishments Acts 1964 and 1970.It is unlawful to keep a riding establishment without holding such a licence.

The keeping of a riding establishment is defined to mean the carrying on of a business of keeping horses for either or both of the following purposes:-

(a)     The purpose of the horses being let out on hire for riding;

(b)     The purpose of their being used in providing, in return for payment, instruction in riding.

Planning permission may be required to permit a premises to be used for this purpose and advice should be sought from the Planning Team.

What is required before a licence can be granted?
The premises will need to be inspected by the Council and approved in terms of Health and Safety. The inspection will be carried out by a member of the Council's Environmental Food Safety and Health and Safety Team A separate inspection of the horses and tack is also required to be carried out by a Veterinary Surgeon that has been approved by the Council. In addition, the operator of the establishment will need to meet the minimum qualification standards that are set out in the legislation.