Search site

Exempt Properties

Please note that the following list of exemptions is only a guide and some exemptions may not be applicable depending on individual circumstances

Some occupied properties may be exempt from Council Tax which means you may not have to pay Council Tax, they include:

  • Properties that are only occupied by students.
  • Properties that are only occupied by people aged under 18.
  • Properties that are only occupied by people who have a severe mental difficulty.
  • Properties occupied by a diplomat or member of certain international organisations.
  • Properties that are occupied by an elderly or disabled person living in part of a home (an annexe) with a relative living in the rest of it.

Empty properties may be exempt if they;

  • are owned by a charity (these are exempt for up to 6 months) - Apply for Council Tax Charity Exemption
  • are left empty by someone who has gone into prison
  • are left empty by someone who has moved to give personal care, or who has moved to receive personal care
  • are waiting for probate or letters of administration to be granted (after someone has died) and for up to six months after
  • have been repossessed
  • are the responsibility of a trustee on behalf of someone who is bankrupt
  • have no-one allowed to live in them by law
  • are waiting to be lived in by a minister of religion.

Forces barracks and married quarters are also exempt, and people living there will contribute to the cost of local services through a special arrangement with us.