Search site

Privately Rented - Repairs or adaptation to your home

Information about the types of financial assistance available for repairs or adaptations to privately rented properties.

The types of financial assistance currently available are:

Home Security Grant

This grant is to install the Helpline community alarm service in your home if you are elderly, infirm or have a disability.  You need to be in receipt of one of the following benefits:

  • Income Support
  • Income related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Pension Credit Guarantee credit
  • Housing Benefit
  • Working Tax Credit and income not exceeding £15,050  
  • Council Tax Benefit (this is not the same as The Disability Reduction Scheme)
  • Child Tax Credit and income not exceeding £15,050

For more information, or to apply for the grant telephone the Professional Support Unit on Colchester 01206 508960.


Some smaller repairs may well be within the capabilities of the competent DIY enthusiast and advice on what you can, and cannot do, can be found in our pdf icon Home Maintenance Guide [828kb].

Ex-Service Personnel

If you have been in the armed services then the 'Soldiers Sailors Airmans Family Association' (SSAFA) may be able to find financial assistance for you if you do not qualify for a Disabled Facilities Grant or Disabled Facilities Assistance; or to help towards any assessed contribution you may have to make towards them.  They can be contacted by phone on 01206 764114 or by email on

Older People

If you are elderly and need help or advice, Age Concern Colchester is a charity working for all older people in the Borough.  They can be contacted by e-mail on or by phone on Colchester 01206 368420.